Finding The Balance Between Work and Family
It is not easy to balance your professional and personal life, and the manner you achieve this could have a major impact on you and your family. If you already made a resolution to live a better and a more balanced life, then it is better to start right now as opposed to tomorrow. There is no need to plan. When you have control of your day, you will automatically have more control of your life. You will have a higher level of energy to devote time to things you love the most. You can also make lasting changes.
Changes at your place of work
- If possible, close your office each day for a certain period of time, even if it’s just 15 minutes. Use this time to complete daily tasks and return important calls without getting interrupted.
- If you handle projects, estimate the time needed to complete it. Then double the estimated time to accommodate the inevitable interruptions. If you finish early, you will have free time at your disposal. Use it wisely.
- You should always ask yourself if the work you were doing at that time was the best usage of your time or not. If the answer is no, change to the more important work.
- Reduce socialising at work. Learn polite ways of ending conversations. If it is really necessary, schedule a better time to talk.
Changes at your home
- Wake up early. If you wake up one hour early each day, you will create an effective ten weeks of additional time in your life. Use this to your personal advantage, or as a quiet time to reflect on your own.
- Do not think about work on weekends.
- Do something different when you have time off. Master new skills or get outdoors and go hiking. Well rounded individuals are more content both personally and professionally.
- Enter your home in a relaxed state of mind: If needed, take a long shower. Sit down with your children with a happy mind as a child easily picks up whether you are happy or sad. If you are relaxed, they will be relaxed too.
- Eat with your children: If you come in late and they have already eaten, push yourself into the habit of taking a light snack and chatting with them before you tuck them into bed. Tell them about your day and encourage them to tell about theirs. This could easily be the most enjoyable parts in your family routine.
- Do something as a family: This need not be anything special or for an extended duration. The fact is that your children will love to have you around for a small amount of time per day. Remember to keep yourself relaxed and maintain a happy demeanour.
When you spend time with your family, your mind will be at peace, develop tighter bonds bringing you much happiness.